This porcelain tableware dates from 1954 and was manufactured by the Langenthal factory, founded in the German-speaking part of Switzerland in 1906. Langenthal ensured the continuation of the porcelain industry in Switzerland after porcelain factories in Nyon and Zurich ceased operation in the 18th and 19th century. Although Langenthal faced stiff competition from large French and German brand names such as Sèvres and Meissen, it took inspiration from this to create tableware that blended both tradition and innovation.
The Museum’s tableware provides a good example of this tendency. It consists of a soup tureen, bowls and plates, dessert plates and a gravy boat, all decorated in the Art Nouveau style of the early 1900s. The motif of reddish maple leaves against a white background with a very classical gold rim complements the simplicity of the pieces. This was a particular choice of the manufacturer to ensure the tableware would last and remain popular.